Monday, November 3, 2008

Reflection of Week 11 Classtime

Today in class we discussed technology and its role in the classroom. We made posters of all the different types of technology used in the classroom. My group had many different types of technology listed such as, coffee maker, coffee grinder, cars, razors and so on. I found it interesting how many different types of technology are available in our daily lives. Also, it is amazing the amount of teaching possibilities there are when using technology. To further explain this point, one of my Spanish classes utilized computers most of the time. There were many times that I was frustrated by the computers but when it actually worked I was happy and felt that I reaped the benefits. Through the use of the Internet and the computers, I was able to speak to students all the way in Spain and work on my grammar.

I think there is a variety of availability with respect to technology which presents one of its drawbacks. My Catholic High School did not possess any technology. We simply had chalkboards and the occasional overhead projectors. Although there was limited availability my teachers found ways to add variety within the classroom. I think it is important to remember that technology is simply an aid, a tool if you will that assists in teaching rather than supplementing it.

The other portion of the class was taken up by Bekir and Brian's presentation which was very well organized and it was apparent that it was well thought out. I liked the variety between activities and discussion and I thought they highlighted the most important parts in Chapters 11,12 and 13.

3 comments:

El Chris said...

It really is interesting to see how much technology we use every day without even giving it a second thought. When did you use computers to talk to people in Spain?

Stephanie Michaell said...

I talked to people in Spain during my Spanish202 Class. It was intersting and I could tell the cultural differences for sure. As I am sure they could tell our cultural differences.

Mai Nguyen said...

Wow i really like the idea of talking with Spanish students on the Internet. I'm sure it helped a lot. An idea just crossed my mind about using Internet and human communication to create a near-natural environment in the EFL setting. I think I'll blog about this right away before it slips my mind. Thanks Stephanie!