Sunday, September 21, 2008

Week 3 Class Reflection

This week's class period started with Thea giving her presentation over the readings. She seemed to know a lot about teaching and the different methods. I am sure her previous teaching experience has helped her greatly. One thing that I was really impressed and noticed almost immediately is that she had a very relaxed presence in front of the class. I thought that feeling of relaxation was contagious throughout the classroom. Perhaps, this is a new approach to teaching I have not read about yet.

After the presentation we played a game with the different hypotheses and approaches from the chapters. Each person had an index card on his or her back and we had to ask questions to find out what our designated term was. I thought that was pretty fun and very entertaining because two people would be standing side by side and not realize that they had the same term.

Later, we broke into groups and defined more clearly these terms. We wrote out the main points on pieces of paper and then the class got to look at each others paper. I thought this was very beneficial because I am a very visual person and the reading and writing of the key facts in the book helped solidify the information.

Lastly, we went to the library to work on the next step in the multi-genre project. I think at that point my group felt somewhat lost but we met up later in the week and I know that I feel more confident. I am happy to work with my group because we each teach other something different about the topic or the procedure to cite different sources.

Overall, I felt the class time was very well spent on many different activities. This type of variety gave me motivation to learn the material.

1 comment:

Esther Smidt said...

You're right. Thea being relaxed probably had a lot to do with her teaching experience.