Monday, September 22, 2008

Playing Catch-up fpr Week 4 readings.


Week 4 readings were covered in the "How Languages are Learned" text. I found chapter 1, Language Learning in Early Childhood, to be very interesting. I kept making connections from the text book to my nephew or my friend's baby. I thought the section on 'negation' was interesting and I think I knew many of the things the text explained without realizing I knew it. One example being, just last week I was with my 1 and 1/2 year old friend April. I asked her, Do you want some juice?" I received a simple, "no". Another example the child gave me is when she was looking for a stuffed animal she said, "Where doggie?" "Table?" This is type of question is directly from Stage 1 in the topic of Questions. I then went on to scaffold her question without realizing it. I said, "Where is the doggie? Is he under the table?" I am unsure if scaffolding is covered in this chapter but I think it is quite amazing that many of us use these terms and methods in our daily lives and yet we never knew it. Therefore, explaining that each one of us has the potential within to be great teachers.

1 comment:

Esther Smidt said...

Scaffolding IS very important!