I read the MCM book extensively in preparation for my presentation. Wow. That was a lot of information. I learned a lot about ESP. English for Specific purposes and how it is taught. Something that I found was interesting was the topic of 'Wait Time'. Research indicates that the longer a teacher waits after asking a question the more in depth the answers by the students will be. I found that to be very interesting.
ESP appears to be very important in other countries especially on the business part of their societies. ESP seems a little harder to teach becasue how does a teacher in that setting know what to teach? What if there are many different occupational goals in one classroom? How does a teacher organize her lessons around everyones needs? All of these were questions I had and I still ponder if a teacher is truly able to adapt and teach to each individual students' needs and goals.
The section of lesson planning was interesting and for me I needed to learn a lot more about lesson planning and what topics and techniques that can be used. I think lesson planning is intimidating especially when it is an unfamiliar territory.
Monday, October 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Re. ESP, that's where needs assessment comes in. We get to know students' needs this way. As for lesson planning, that's why we're having a lesson planning assignment, peer reviews, micro teaching, etc. You will continually become more comfortable in your own (teaching) skin.
Post a Comment